Soil Carbon Best Practices

With the steady decline of carbon levels in soils as a result of climatic conditions and frequent cultivation, soil health depends entirely on its composition of soil organic matter (SOM). In healthy soil, carbon makes up 60% of soil organic matter (SOM) with the remaining 40% containing important elements such as calcium, nitrogen, hydrogen and oxygen.     

Put simply, increasing organic matter in soil increases the amount of carbon in soil, and a wide range of soil health benefits result. Vermicast provides just that, organic matter which stimulates the microbial activity of soil, increasing soil organic carbon (SOC) – the basis of soil fertility – while also increasing nutrient levels, maintaining soil temperature, improving soil porosity and infiltration of water, which ultimately improves yield and quality of plant growth.

Consistency is key.

Because soil conditions are in a constant state of flux, it is necessary to consistently maintain soil health to sustain soil fertility and ensure ideal plant growing conditions. Much research has been done of this and a consistent finding is that Vermicast makes for the best method to sustain soil fertility. Unlike chemical fertilizers, Vermicast is 100% organic and has a higher soil retention due to the worm mucus it contains, making nutrients available to plants for longer, allowing optimal plant nutrient absorption.

It should be understood that Vermicast’s ability to improve soil carbon levels depends on the quality of Vermicast. At Earthworks only the finest quality Vermicast products are produced. Thanks to a strictly controlled, stable and consistent blend of quality, organic feed which has been refined over more than 20 years, Earthworks guarantees the highest quality Vermicast for maximum soil fertilization.

Looking at soil carbon best practices, the following should be considered:

  • Avoid and eliminate unnecessary cultivation.
  • Minimize impact of grazing on soil structure and maximize organic matter returns.
  • Maintain soil fertility with organic fertilisers like Vermicast.
  • Grow high biomass crops and pastures to increase organic matter returns to the soil.
  • Conserve ground cover and minimise wind erosion by covering a minimum of 70% of the soil surface.
  • Include pasture rotations and plant perennial species where possible.

For more information on the benefits of Vermicast and the Vermicast products Earthworks supplies, contact us today.

Share this post

Share on facebook
Share on google
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on pinterest
Share on print
Share on email